31 January 2015

Writing Your Genealogy

I recently read NGS staff members Penny Stratton and Henry Hoff's newest edition of their book, "Guide to Genealogical Writing: How to Write and Publish Your Family History." 


Here is my review:

   Guide To Genealogical Writing: How To Write and Publish Your Family History. By Penelope L. Stratton and Henry B. Hoff, CG, FASG.  Published by New England Historic Genealogical Society; Boston, MA; 2014.

  As genealogists we live for the thrill of the chase so to speak but at what point do we stop chasing and start writing? In multiple genealogy circles the question, “what do I do with my work after I’ve gone?” comes up over and over again.  It’s easy as genealogists to get so caught up in research that we forget to create that which will last forever, The Story.  I recently read Guide To Genealogical Writing: How To Write and Publish Your Family History, the latest book by Penelope L. Stratton & Henry B. Hoff offered by the NEHGS.  According to the biographies, Penny is the current publishing director at NEHGS and Henry has been a member of their staff since 1996.  
     Right out of the gates this book says it’s “intended to walk you through the publication process” and each chapter takes you step by step from the initial idea to the end result. It suggests “shifting mental gears,” stop researching and start writing, and walks the reader through the entire process; writing, layout, illustrations and publishing as well as types of publications and how to get published in different formats.  It is less than two hundred pages and includes a genealogical manual style guide as well as an appendix for using MS Word for genealogical writing.  The chapters are short and well outlined.  Each contains several examples and highlighted tips, making the material easy to read and absorb. 
     As a genealogist and a writer myself, it seems only natural to bring the peanut butter and chocolate of my passions together but I wasn’t sure where to start.  This book sat me down and said, “You are going to do this.”  The first half of the book really gave me the diving board I needed to jump in and get writing.  It held my hand and gave me the tools I needed to start with a blank page and piles of research right down to showing me how to use my word processor specific to genealogy writing.  I am a very hands-on, visual person, so the samples and pop up tips helped me see what my process and product should look like and even explained past the writing to the publishing process.  It thoroughly discussed layout and suggested ways to use photos as illustrations.  No stone was left unturned in the creation process. 
    The second half of the book focused on publishing and types of publishing.  This is where my eyes started to glaze over and I felt a bit in over my head.  My impression was that writing and publishing a family history would be something I could do on my own.  I write a colorful account of family lore based on my research and then print it off or send it to some publishing website and voila, it’s topped off with a neat little bow.  This is not the case.  You cannot do the publishing on your own.   Publishing a professional account of family history will take time and money.  The publishing part felt a little misleading since several times along the way the book says “whether you produce the work yourself or work with a publisher,” when really most of what is within the chapters is telling you to use a publisher.  It should really just say, when you get done writing call a publisher to help with the rest and then explain what that will look like.
     The last part of the book is all about how to write articles for NEHGS and other similar journals as well as how to write informal family histories.  Overall, I do suggest this book to my fellow genealogists both professional and hobbyists.  We spend years researching and collecting copious amounts of information on family and sometimes forget, until it’s too late, how to pass our work on to future generations.  This book is the perfect stepping stone, from research to writing, that will leave something finished in a neat package for the next family historian to continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment